Designed by a noted team of architects, artists and landscape architects, the Garfield Park Conservatory was the largest public conservatory of its kind when completed in 1907. Designed by Hitchings and Co., the Conservatory contains one of the best-preserved landscapes designed by one of the premier midwestern landscape architect, Jens Jensen. The Garfield Park Conservatory once housed a number of furnishings designed by the noted Chicago architecture firm of Schmidt, Garden & Martin, and rare Teco pottery that unfortunately has been lost over the years. The Conservatory also contains statues executed by sculptor Lorado Taft, which remain to this day.
Ion 1993, Eifler & Associates was retained by the Chicago park District to conduct a building conditions assessment study assist with reprogramming the use of nine individual houses and make recommendations for the restoration of the Conservatory. Upon completion of the study, the firm was commissioned to rehabilitate three of the nine houses. (Additional restoration will take place as funding permits). Special attention was given to the restoration of the complex copper and cypress glazing system, which was slightly modified to accept laminated, low-e glass. The firm received a preservation award for the restoration of the Aroid House from the landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois in 1997, and a Distinguished Building Award from the American Institute of Architects in 1999.