The Buffalo City School District wanted to transform a circa 1925 building into a comprehensive academic high school that would house the Citys first biotechnical science program. Kideney Architects provided design services for an $18.5 million project that completely reconstructed the schools interior. High priorities included code compliance and full ADA accessibility.
A courtyard allowed Kideney designers to introduce daylight into a new cafeteria during this major renovation project. The food service facility offers students and staff a full-service kitchen and eating area. Four new tray lines reduce traffic flow and enhance movement into the seating areas.
Interior light courts were partially enclosed to increase floor areas available for teaching space. New spaces such as the library, cafeteria/kitchen, science/technology labs, music suite and art rooms give the building a fresh, modern feel.
Technology permeates the building, with completely new mechanical, electrical, lighting, sound and security systems, as well as the provision for computers in every classroom. All new furniture and equipment completed the program.
The historic nature of the building was retained through the restoration of the existing corridors, terrazzo floors, historic wood windows and auditorium.